Episode 183: How to Grow Your Business in an Age of Disruption with Mark Monchek
Today’s guest is a thought leader who has mastered the strategy of turning every challenge into an opportunity! Mark Monchek is the Founder and Chief Opportunity Officer of Opportunity Lab, which is a strategy consulting firm focused on conscious growth, and he’s here to share his very unique perspective on culture and leadership, and what it means for businesses to thrive in this age of disruption. The impressive list of leaders he has worked with includes Google, Apple, JPMorgan Chase, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, the New York Times, NBC, Time Warner, and the United Nations, and he has been featured in Real Leaders, The Better Business Book, the Organization Development Review Journal, Lifetime network, WPLJ, WCBS, Newsday, Working Woman Magazine, and the San Francisco Chronicle. He is also the author of the Amazon nonfiction bestseller Culture of Opportunity: How to Grow Your Business in an Age of Disruption. If that isn’t needed now more than ever, we don’t know what is, and in this conversation, you’ll hear about why they’re called the Opportunity Lab, and the numerous insightful and innovative ways that they help businesses pivot, adapt, and evolve with the current times. Mark shares, in detail, the five ways to be strategic in this age of disruption, before diving into DEI through a moral, personal, and business lens, as well as discussing the role of curiosity and humility as distinguishing leadership qualities of the utmost importance. Listeners, get your notepads ready because this is going to be a mind-bending conversation!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Mark shares how he came to the idea of conscious growth in the context of disruption.
- How the intersection of his parent’s worlds forged his young entrepreneurial curiosity.
- The fascinating story of his family’s toy store and how that impacted his ideas on innovation.
- Defining disruptive times within the context of history and current times.
- A personal experience of learning to accept his reality, and then finding an opportunity in it.
- A peek into his sequel book: Five Ways to be Strategic in an Age of Disruption.
- Hear about the Share Lab and the questions to ask that will set you apart in these times.
- The reality of how businesses need to adapt and pivot instead of waiting for a new normal.
- Diving into the numerous ways that the Opportunity Lab helps businesses evolve.
- Experimentation and communication: why they’re called the Opportunity Lab.
- How a business leader can add value to employees and stakeholders.
- Working with clients to help them understand the connecting purpose of a workplace now.
- Helping businesses make sense of remote and hybrid models and working space.
- Discussing the strong business case for DEI, and the development of Opportunity Community.
- Being called to step into the shoes of others and deliberately go back to human connections.
- Closing thoughts: Mark’s life philosophy of beginning with the end in mind!
This podcast episode is now available. You can find the link to listen on your preferred podcast service here.